Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hello from the bottom of the world!

Yup, I made it. I don´t know why but I have a small obsession with reaching the far ends of continents, so here I am in Ushuaia, Argentina (although, officially, there is a tiny town across the Beagle Channel in Chile that is slightly further south called Puerto Williams, but you wouldn´t have known that had I not told you). Anyway, apparently, when I arrived late on monday night, so did winter. The first significant snow of the year followed my buses from Puerto Natales, Chile all the way to Ushuaia, making a 12 hour journey about 15 hours. About half of the whole journey was through blizzard conditions, with compact ice and snow on the roadways (as the WSDOT would say) and the last bit down to Ushuaia was the worst bit of winter driving I have experienced possibly ever (definitely rivals the trip from Spokane to Seattle after Thanksgiving last year). We were sliding all over the place. But we made it. So, Ushuaia is bordered by the mountains that represent the end of the Andes to the north and the Beagle channel to the south. The mountains are covered with snow, and the town was as well until yesterday when some rains and warmish weather washed it away. So it´s cold and beautiful. My next move is heading up north, as I can really not go any further south (btw, Antarctica is only 1000 km south of here, but the overpriced cruises have stopped running for the season). I decided that with incoming snow and storms, I didn´t really want to spend 40+ hours again on buses, so I have a flight to Comodoro, then a bus to Bariloche, my next stop. That´s saturday, so I have a few days to kill enjoying the mountains here in Ushuaia. Today I went on a boat tour through the Beagle channel to ooh and aah at the seals, sea lions, and mountains. Tomorrow hopefully going to do some hiking in the Tierra Del Fuego National Park (hopefully I say because it will depend upon how much snow is covering the trails...again, a little underprepared for hiking in snow, but whatever). I have one pair of long underwear, and it is my best friend at the moment. But as long as there are mountains with snow I am usually happy. And that´s that! Maybe some pictures mas tarde.

No comments: