Sunday, April 8, 2007

12 hours by train, 34 hours by bus later...

and I have landed in El Calafate, the town that acts as a base for exploring the Moreno Glacier, which I am going to do manana, for a nice tourist price. The town is cute, like a budding Colorado ski resort town without snow. To get here was a freakin mission, and outside of town you can´t believe you will end up in a place with heaters and Pepsi, but the world never ceases to amaze. Speaking of getting here, I want to applaud the Argentine bus system; the buses are comfy and when they say 5 minutes, they actually mean it. No livestock on these buses. Two thumbs up. So, officially I am in Patagonia...which is sort of a little travel dream of mine realized. Of course, most of Patagonia is flat, bleak, colorless, and boring, and hopefully the past 2 days have covered most of this part. There are some mountains here, with snow, and heading south and west promises more snow capped mountains. So my anticipation rises. Other than that, I have been on a bus/train for the entire weekend so I actually have very little to report. Much love from the almost bottom of the world...

No comments: